Friday, May 03, 2019

Walking with Gospel Music and Waterfowl


Sitting around all day with nothing to do is for some a dream come true.  Students finishing high school or college and people counting down the days to retirement look forward to days of freedom; however, for me working from home when I am supposed to be out in schools working is a bit depressing. 

I was heading toward depression even though I have good medication for that. Yes, I have been catching up on emails and some easy work stuff.  Yes, I have been on a Netflix binge. Yes, I have been reading for fun. Yes, I am bored.

As a remedy to this boredom, I got up yesterday and went for a walk around Garden Lakes park.  It was a beautiful morning—the sky was a brilliant blue, the sun was shining, the breeze was ruffling the leaves.  

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
I plugged in my headphones and chose the Gaither Gospel Homecoming album and set off on my walk. Gospel songs are reminders of my grandparents, Grannie and Papaw. Songs like How Great Thou Art, I Surrender All, It Is Well with My Soul, Sweet Beulah Land, and When the Roll is Called Up Yonder put a spring in my step.  I was reminded of not only my grandparents’ love for me, but God’s, too.  I am in a dark place at present going through some tough personal things.  But these songs buoyed my spirit and I was able to open my eyes to God’s creation all around me.

I observed the native waterfowl and their springtime behavior.  I was surprised that there were a bunch of species represented in this little lake in northwest Georgia—mallards, big white ducks, Canadian geese, and even a heron.  I noticed the birds paddle with their feet concealed under their bodies and then drag their feet behind them to steer themselves. I was amused when I saw a Canada goose land on the water, and he looked like he was water-skiing.  I loved the diving duck with his butt in the air looking for food under the water. And finally, I saw that a mama duck is just as protective of her ducklings as a human mama. 









So my friend’s suggestion to get out in the sunshine and walk was good advice. I walked almost two miles, saw the beauty of God’s creation, and remembered who I am and whose I am.  The dark times will pass and there is something better waiting on the other side. Thanks to gospel music and waterfowl for helping me remember that.

No comments: