Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Read It Forward Post #2

Sorry, I had an eye infection and was out of commission for part of last week. Better late than never!
 
Week 2: February 17 - February 23
Now and Then
Answer the following questions twice. The first time, answer how you would have when you were 10 years old (or any age from elementary school that you remember clearly) and the second time, answer in the present.
1. I think everyone in the world should read...
When I was 10: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I remember reading this in the 5th grade and really liking it.  I also remember wanting other kids to read it so we could talk about it, but I had no takers.
Now: The Class by Eric Segal because it is my favorite book of all time. It is a great story about friends from the Class of 1958 at Harvard. It talks about their college days, growing up, relationships, and careers in a wonderful story. I liked all the characters even the ones you weren't supposed to like.
2. If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be...
When I was 10: My mom since she did such a great job. I was glad I had younger siblings so I could still be read to without being a baby! :)

Now:  Jenna Lamia. She is an audiobook actress and her Southern accent is right on the money. I have chosen books from Audible because she was the narrator and then read the blurb to find out what they were about.  Some of my favorites of hers are The Help, Moon Over Manifest, and The Secret Life of Bees.

3. When I read aloud, my favorite character to impersonate is...
When I was 10: Nancy Drew, no doubt about it. I knew the books all followed a formula, but I loved finding out about different places because Nancy, Bess, and George when there.
Now: The bear in I Want My Hat Back. Or maybe Lucy in You Will Be My Friend. Or maybe Lilly in Julius, Baby of the World. I have too many to pick just one!

4. The genre that takes up the most room on my bookshelf (or e-reader) is...
When I was 10: Mysteries and Biographies. I remember reading the whole series of Biographies in my school library and asking why there weren't more about women and girls.  The two I do remember reading were about Nellie Bly and Elizabeth Blackwell.
Now: To be honest, my nook app and "real" bookshelf are ALL over the place.  I have cozy mysteries by Cleo Coyle and Maggie Barbieri and Laura Childs; I have best sellers by John Grisham, Janet Evanovich, and Jennifer Weiner; I have Young Adult lit like Chasing Jordan, Faith, Hope, and Ivy Jean, Matched and The Hunger Games; and I have eclectic items like Let's Pretend This Never Happened, Reader's Digest, The New York Times Book Review, The Traveler's Gift, Help Thanks Wow, and Brain Power.
5. The last book I wish I’d written or inspired me to write my own story is...
When I was 10: I was sure I could write a mystery, but I had trouble planning the end or filling out the characters like I wanted.
Now: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. He captures teenagers really well and gets the part right about "cancer kids", too. His story was great and not too sweet, but good and funny and real.

No comments: