Thursday, December 12, 2019

Approaching Advent


Advent season in the Episcopal Church is one that always has challenges for me.  I was raised Baptist so the idea of Advent was one that I first encountered in college.  The idea of watching and waiting during the excitement of the Christmas season was not one that I was familiar with. Also, I am not sure I had ever heard any advent carols except for O Come, O Come Emmanuel.




I am not very good at watching and waiting as anyone who knows me would tell you.  I am a doer not a thinker.  I can make lists and check them twice, no problem; slowing down in a usually busy season took a little getting used to. 



Over the past 30 odd years, I have learned to appreciate Advent. I know more than one carol.  I adore the Advent wreath. I now “get” Lessons and Carols. I love that the new year in the Episcopal Church calendar begins at Advent.  I love even more that North Broad Baptist Church in Rome, Georgia, also observes Advent. The service on Sunday, December 8, gave me such a sense of peace and focus.



The nine lessons presented evoked many different feelings during the service last Sunday. I managed to put some of those feelings into words even though they still seem inadequate.

·         Wonder at hearing the story of how we get to Christmas

·         Cheer as I found myself smiling as the kids sang their solos
·         Delight at seeing the procession of the advent flags that symbolized each of the readings
·         Joy in hearing the songs that make me feel like it is Advent season
·         Comfort in sinking into the familiar rhythm of Lessons and Carols
·         Enthusiasm at singing selected carols along with the choir
·         Gladness that North Broad Baptist Church is an open, accepting place for people of God
·         Elation at singing Hark the Herald Angels Sing at the end of the service
·         Rejoicing that Christmas was now “real” for me





Thanks be to God! The baby boy is on his way. Thanks be to God!



No comments: