Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Things that Got Me Thinking


Hat tip to Steven Anderson for getting me out of my writing funk!

First, this came up in my Google Reader feed today and I was totally engrossed.  

I have just watched an incredible video called Caine’s Arcade. This short film by Nirvan investigates a young boy’s summer past time.  He was bored and always wanted to go to the arcade; his father told him to build his own. And so he did! He hung out each day at his father’s auto parts store and found some empty boxes to use to create his arcade games.  His ingenuity and entrepreneurship is remarkable. He figures out how to create games using cardboard boxes, tape, scissors and imagination. He even has prizes and tickets and everything. Caine sells 4 chances for a $1 or a fun pass for $2. The fun pass has 500 chances so lots of people choose that option.  He even has a verification process for this fun passes to make sure they are real. Wow! He really thought of everything.This story caught the attention of Nirvan who stopped to get a door handle for his car. He asked if he could make a film about Caine and his arcade.  Caine’s father, George, agreed to the film and the rest is history. You have stop and watch this video now! Check out the complete site. Also, there is lots of information on the Facebook page and you can follow the #cardboardchallenge on Twitter. I want to host a cardboard challenge for kids in my neck of the woods. Who is with me? Comments welcome in the comment section if you are in West Alabama and/or East Mississippi and want to organize something like this.

Next, I have been doing little fun treats for our support staff and others in the College of Education for the whole month of October.  

I have truly enjoyed actually doing some of the pins from Pinterest.  I feel so crafty! :)  I have located different poems and songs about fall and Halloween and shared them with the treats. My favorite was probably a tie between Pumpkin Poop and 5 Little Pumpkins. I loved making the bags of cheese ball “pumpkin poop” and saying the 5 Little Pumpkins rhyme when I delivered the pumpkin sugar cookies.  The Pumpkin Poop got lots of laughs while the 5 Little Pumpkins brought back two wonderful memories. I remember my mom saying it complete with hand motions for us each Halloween and then, I taught it to my Latin students who translated it and even made it rhyme in Latin!

Pumpkin Poop (with my adaptations)
I started to carve a pumpkin
with my carving knife and scoop
But the pumpkin got so scared
He took a little poop!
It looked so cute and funny
Just like a cheesy treat
So I'm sharing it with you now
Because you are so neat!




5 Little Pumpkins
5 Little Pumpkins sitting on a gate,
The first one said, “Oh my, it’s getting late!”

The second one said, “It’s time to have some fun!”
The third one said, “Let’s run and run and run!”
The fourth one said, “There are witches in the air!”
The fifth one said, “But we don’t care!”

OOO oooo went the wind
and
OUT

went the light
and the 5 little pumpkins rolled out of sight!





 

Finally, I have really tried to take time to enjoy my life.

I love teaching college students! I am passionate about technology and absolutely love learning new things to share with my students and colleagues.  I get to play with social media, computer games, and all kinds of cool apps all in the name of research and keeping up with the new technology. I have great friends and a wonderful family and I know that I am truly blessed to be where I am at this moment. I have Vicki Davis to thank for this reflection. She has been posting about being more present for her family and I have really taken it to heart.

No comments: