Thursday, January 13, 2011

My Life as Blogger


I am participating in the 30 days to Being a Better Blogger (again)! I hope to get the writing bug and keep it energized for all of 2011! Happy reading!

Hmm, this is going to be interesting. When I was first introduced to blogs, I knew I would love them since I am a writer by nature. The idea that I could write posts or articles and have an audience beyond myself was pretty cool. I am not sure that I have achieved much of an audience even six years into the blog process. Yes, I made my mom and dad read it and some of my other techie friends, but I didn’t really think it had reached an audience until I got a reply from a person at the Orange County Convention Center about a picture and a post that I blogged after FETC 2009. I know they have a bot that looks for references to their convention center, but I thought it was cool to get a comment about my post. I still love comments! It’s almost as good as getting real snail mail that is not a bill or junk mail!

I began this blog, Fresh Fowlers, on Sunday, June 27, 2004. My first post was about trying to teach my grandmother to use email. At the time that I started this blog, I also had another blog for my “professional” and/or “educational” use; I soon found that I had much to blog about and that trying to decide which blog to post it on was difficult. Being a teacher is very much in the fabric of my being so trying to decide if something was personal or professional was a hard distinction for me to make. After I had some issues with not being able to log in to Edublogs where my “professional” blog was hosted, I decided to just put all of my blog posts on Fresh Fowlers. So far, it has worked well.

A metaphor for my life as a blogger would probably be a car that goes in fits and starts. I get going and post for a while full of gas and ideas; then, the tank runs dry and I can’t think of what to write about so I stop until I get some “gas” in my idea tank again! I hoping that this 30 Day Challenger to Being a Better Blogger will give me the gas I need to get my motor running for real in 2011!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie Thank you for sharing your life as a blogger. I always find it interesting to learn how and why people started blogging. Like you, I love comments but they can be difficult to attract at times. Hopefully you will get many, just by being part of this challenge. Do you have a link to your first blog post as I think that would be of great interest to many - teaching your grandma how to email. Were you successful? Can she now email and does she email regularly.

Theresa Allen said...

Laurie,

I just wanted to let you know I used your blog in my Challenge #3! I like your metaphor of you as a car with a full tank of gas! I can certainly relate! I hope this gives you a little jolt and you continue your blogging.
Thanks!
Theresa

loonyhiker said...

I loved your car with the gas tank metaphor. I love reading your blog and it really helps to know you better whenever you share a piece of yourself.