Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reflections of a not-so-new Assistant Professor

It is August and I am beginning my second full year as an assistant professor. It seems a bit more harried this year since I am now advising students and helping them with their educational plans, attending meetings, helping interview candidates for a university position, and getting my on-campus and online classes ready to teach. But, just as I love bouquets of newly sharpened pencils and the smell of other school supplies (hat tip to Joe Fox in You’ve Got Mail), I love getting back to what I do best--TEACHING!

My dad said it best last year when he saw me in person for the first time after I started my job as an assistant professor--This is what you were meant to do. I have never seen you so happy and content. And as I think about it, I really am happy and content. I enjoy teaching technology to the next generation of teachers. I like knowing that I am making a difference to these students. I also enjoy getting to know those graduate students who are out in schools already or those who are coming back to get a teaching certificate because they feel a call to do so.

I like working at a small university where everyone knows you from the custodian to the cafeteria workers to the president to the provost. I like eating lunch in the cafeteria and being greeted by students I have taught over my year here. I like knowing that at graduation in December, I will just have to go and pick up my cap and gown in my size that the bookstore orders for me at no cost. I like being here! I am in my element! I am passionate about what I do and I love the people I work with! So, bring on the 2nd year of Assistant Professorship, I am ready for the challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear when someone finds their niche - I hope to find that someday as well.